Buy a smartphone? Look out for these features!
Posted On July 9, 2023
All ready to get your first smartphone? Thanks to the new models of terminals that the different mobile manufacturers launch with remarkable regularity, you will have many options to choose from. However, advanced smartphones are not exactly very cheap, and you should inquire about all the basic features of a model before you decide to buy it. Here are some of the properties of a smartphone that you should be especially careful about:
- Storage space: Over time, you’ll download a lot of games, apps, and other software onto your phone, and your phone must have ample memory capacity to support them. Depending on your requirements, go for a standard 16GB or 32GB phone. However, choose one that offers expandable memory features. The phone you choose should also allow you to store data on the cloud network.
- Internet Access – One of the main reasons anyone switches to a smartphone is the fast and seamless Wi-Fi coverage they offer. With web support integrated with contemporary Blackberry, Android and iPhone application development that is truly innovative, you should be able to connect to the wireless network in a matter of seconds. Don’t go for a phone where the mobile network would be the only option for logging on to the web.
- Speed: There’s no two ways about it – a smartphone is supposed to have really high processor speeds. Ask the store staff if the speed of operations of your chosen model could be affected if you run multiple programs simultaneously on it. Smartphones that enjoy the most popularity usually support multi-tab browsing, with no indication of slowdown at all.
- Camera – Oh yeah, your old phone probably had camera features too, but on a smartphone, you can justifiably expect the lens to be of much higher quality. Check the megapixel (MP) count of the camera on the phone you plan to buy, and take a couple of test snapshots to find out if they come out absolutely clear or not. The phone should also possess efficient video recording features.
- Connectivity with PC and other portable devices: To seamlessly share pictures, games, mobile apps and documents, a new smartphone must have high-end Bluetooth and infrared connectivity options. Ask how you can sync mobile data with your desktop/laptop computer and other phones. If you are opting for a Windows phone or Android suite, please inquire about the availability of the Near Field Communications feature.
- 3G Support – Almost all mobile app development companies have at least some apps that require a fast 3G connection to function properly. Even if you were just casually browsing on your phone and didn’t really need 3G, there’s nothing wrong with opting for a phone that supports the technology. Mobile service providers offer 3G plans at very competitive prices, and the day is probably not too far off when you’ll need 3G coverage for all your phone’s features!
- Decent battery life: We use the adjective ‘decent’, as almost no smartphone offers a battery backup of two days or more. However, you should beware of phones that will be completely drained in a few hours, if you are operating smartphone apps or playing games on them. Charging need not be necessary more than once a day, at a minimum.
- Compatibility with all types of applications: This would depend on the type of mobile application development platform that the phone you have focused on supports. From gaming apps and finance apps, to business-related note-taking apps (like Evernote and Documents To Go), the smartphone you choose should have the system requirements to support all of them. Of course, you should also be aware of the apps that are considered unsuitable for the type of phone you are buying.
- Display Quality – With all the hype about the latest apps being released by all the Blackberry and iPhone app development companies, many people tend to overlook the most basic feature of the phone – its on-screen display properties. Opt for a phone that offers a bright and colorful screen. There should not be any blur around the edges. Message/mail fonts should be easily decipherable, even for people with minor vision problems.
- GPS Navigation – A smartphone’s built-in GPS system can even help you easily go to places you’re not particularly familiar with, so why not take advantage of this feature? Make sure your phone’s GPS can be turned on easily and provide detailed map information and turn-by-turn driving directions to all places in your locality. Even if you have geographical difficulties, you will never feel lost!
Since the battery life of smartphones is not its high point, you should look for a phone that has wireless charging options. Take some time to read customer reviews of popular smartphone sets on the market, and select one with a lot of positive reviews (if most others find a phone to be good, you’re probably no exception). Also have a budget plan and select the best phone model available within your preferred price range. A stylish and well-functioning smartphone can become a loyal virtual companion for you, provided you are careful enough when buying it!