Powdered Milk Candy (Polvoron)
Posted On August 6, 2021
‘Polvoron’ or powdered milk caramel is one of the most popular and favorite sweet Filipino delicacies. A kind of Andalusian sponge cake of Levantine origin, Polvoron is a round or oval-shaped sweet made from flour, sugar, butter, powdered milk and nuts. Several regional variants of the basic recipe are prepared locally in different areas of the Philippines. Some of the more popular variants include Polvoron with pinipig, Polvoron with strawberry, Polvoron with cookies and cream, Polvoron covered with dark chocolate, and Polvoron with Casuy. Today, this sweet has also become popular as a “pasalubong” gift that is presented to friends and family staying abroad.
Polvoron is not very difficult to make at home. Here is the traditional and original recipe for the same.
Ingredients / Materials:
• All-purpose flour: 4 cups
• Powdered milk: 2 cups
• Butter (melted): 1 ½ cup
• Finely granulated sugar: 2 cups
• Japanese paper / cellophane strips
• Polvoron Moulder: regular / large / extra large size, depending on your needs
1) Put four cups of flour in a skillet and heat over medium heat for almost 15 minutes. Continue stirring constantly until the flour turns light brown. Do not stop stirring to prevent the flour from burning.
2) Once the flour is browned, turn off the heat and pour the flour into a large bowl.
3) Add the powdered milk to the bowl and mix well with the flour for 3-4 minutes.
4) Add the melted butter and finely granulated sugar and mix well, until the mixture becomes homogeneous.
5) Fill the mixture into the Polvoron mold and press hard with the help of a spoon. The mixture should be thick and firm. If it’s too loose, add more butter and olive oil until it’s thick enough that you can pick up a Polvoron from the pan without it falling apart.
6) Place the Polvoron in an airtight container and refrigerate until set.
7) Once firm, wrap each Polvoron individually in Japanese paper or cellophane and store in the fridge.
Homemade Polvoron can be stored for up to 7 days. You can also freeze them to store them for a longer period of time. Wrapping them in colored paper and packing them in gift boxes or baskets can be a wonderful gift during the festive seasons.